Resources Learning Centre

Monday, January 10, 2011

Changes to "My Trading Journal"

I have had to make some changes on how I post information to my trading journal, and I think you will find that they are changes for the better.

Not only was it quite time-consuming to post the information in chart form like I had in the past, the information was difficult to read because the font was so small in order to squeeze in all the pertainent information.

From now on the Trade Journal will be more anecdotal. This will allow for much more information and commentary to be included. Each posting will contain a numbered list of the day's activities, observations and opportunities, as well as some information on the system, product or tool that I used to make that observation or identify the opportunity. Finally, I will add in any personal notes or comments.

As many of you are aware, I have been working towards having a live trading journal available. Unfortunately, none of the software that I could find is compatible with my current broker. I considered switching brokers for this reason, but it would adversely affect my brokerage fees and my level of leverage. It simply did not make financial sense.

I even considered opening up a small additional account with a different broker so that I could run the software from there, but that would require me to place trades in two different accounts. Some of the trades that I make are time-sensitive, and more-over, it becomes a bit of a logistical nightmare should I accidentally neglect to open or close a position in a particular account. It simply is not manageable.

Still, I love the transparancy that would come from having my account available to view so that my readers could see at any given time what positions I have open or have recently closed, and see the profit or loss right there in black and white. I will continue the search, but the prospect has been put on the back burner as, for now, I feel I have exhausted all avenues.

I do hope that you find the new format appealing as it does have the advantage of the commentary - an important aspect that would be lacking otherwise.

Thank you so much for your patience these last several weeks as I know there was a disruption in the frequency of postings.

Regular daily updates will now resume. Typically the journal will be updated until after 12 noon Eastern Time (Toronto, New York).

No comments:

Post a Comment